Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Is Weight Important?

My alarm sounds off at 5:45 a.m. which allows me to stir around, LUV up the dogs and cat, and organize myself for the morning news broadcast at 6:00.  This morning’s top news story? … Oprah in O Magazine!  "I'm embarrassed," she writes. "I can't believe that after all these years, all the things I know how to do, I'm still talking about my weight. I look at my thinner self and think, ‘How did I let this happen again?’”  HA!

Well, here’s a news flash … show me a woman in her age bracket that doesn’t worry about and/or watch her weight and I will show you either a middle-aged woman with an eating disorder or a woman with genes I would covet!  Personally, I started the battle-of-the-bulge when I turned 40.  My Mother (may God rest her soul) used to say “Yiota, you are not 20 any more!”  “I know, Ma, I know!”  I’ve gone up and down on the scale over and over again … a queen of yo-yo dieting at the very least.  These days I am content with a designated size range vs. being anal about one particular size.  What a relief for my stress levels! 

On my 16th birthday party, I remember all the women in the family standing in that long hallway of our house on Washtenaw Ave. just outside my bedroom door.  Yeah … except for me and my Mom, the big fat Greek women … LOL … and my Theia Sophia said to me, “You’ll see … some day you’re going to be just like me!”  Happy Birthday, huh?  The prophecy has only come true on the top half, and let me tell you … it’s all good!  Besides, haven’t we learned (especially by now) that beauty comes from within?  HA HA!  No, I don’t buy that one either … I think I look OK for my age though, and when I look around and see all the obviously overweight girls with boyfriends and I don’t have one … I think what’s with THAT?

Regardless, I haven’t let my weight stop me from having fun; socializing, and/or attending reunions of any sort … have YOU?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment