Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Cards

I remember when I used to shop and shop for the most perfect cards with the most perfect message.  Now Xmas cards have lost their significance, haven't they?   A dear new friend from the AHS old friends list contacted me last week because she wanted my address so she can send me a Xmas card.  (By the way, did you know that those who say spelling Christmas as Xmas takes the Christ out of Christmas are wrong?  Uh-huh.  X is the Greek symbol for Christ.)  OK ... that's the trivia for the day and now back to cards.  My friend Jay's card has always been the first I have received every year.  I notice how the number of cards received dwindles annually, and even if one is sent with just a name attached (v.s. a personal antidote), it's fun to open it and find a prominent place in the living room to display it for all to see.   Now I have stopped sending cards simply because writing them out by hand feels like a such a task v.s. the fun of searching for online cards in the comfort of this soft leather chair I am sitting in at this very moment.  So, if I have your email address, you can be sure you will get an electronic greeting and wish from me.  I ponder the idea that for some it's a chore to keep in touch with friends these days, and does it reflect what I think I see even in our alumni, let alone in society as a whole?  We seem to be so busy that the priority of relationships just isn't there any more. Remember how when we were kids we lived for friends and partying with friends?  I know, I know ... now we have families to occupy us, and new adult friends.  Maybe there isn't time and room in our lives for the old, and yet for those of us who choose to maintain the old along with the new ... AH! ... Hence the title of this blog! What about YOU ... handwritten or electronic Xmas cards? (Nope ... no predictions on this one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment